Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chapter 4 Listening

In communications 104, we were told to find times when something in our environment distracted us with seven different terms to talk about.  The terms were environmental distraction, medium distraction, source distraction, factual diversion, semantic diversion, content listening and selective listening.  So here are a few times in my past that these have played a role in my listening or not listening. 
The first one, environmental listening happens very often as a matter of fact, such as when I am in the car with my brother or someone else they like to have the music up way to loud and try to ask me questions and I don't even hear half of what they're saying so I just nod my head and agree with them, (I'm sure what they have to say is not important).  The next is medium distraction, this distraction does not happen very often to me but when it does the mobile phone I am on cuts in and out every couple of sentences and I am often able to piece the phrases together and make a complete sentence of what I believe they just said.  Then there is source diversion, this happens to me when I am talking to someone that mumbles or that talks quietly I do not hear the message clearly from the source.  Factual diversion happens when I am told a super long and boring joke and am focused on the joke ending and when it does I missed the main part.  Semantic diversion is when someone says a word that catches my attention positively or negatively.  Content Listening is when you focus on the content level of meaning, or literal meaning rather than the social or relational level of meaning.  Lastly there is the selective listening, this one can be summarized by just saying my grandpa he is the most selective listener I have ever been around if you are talking about something he doesn't like to him he doesn't hear you, but when you start talking about interesting things he knows about he definitely hears you.  These are all seven of the terms best summarized how they relate to my life for the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment